Built in 1876 for a Father of Confederation, George Brown, the house was declared a National Historic Site in 1976. When a decade later the house was threatened with demolition, the Ontario Heritage Trust intervened, restoring and re-opening the house as an event space, with offices on the upper floors.
George Brown House is one of the best-preserved examples of the Second Empire residential style in Ontario and features walls four bricks thick, sandstone trim and a slate roof. Marble and ebony fireplaces, crystal chandeliers, intricate flooring and mahogany paneling, as well as five-piece leaded glass windows in the main hall and an Art Nouveau dining room provide this mansion as a gracious and intimate event setting in downtown Toronto. The house has four private rooms available to rent individually or in combination and work well for corporate meetings, weddings and social events.