Built between 1908 and 1909 by the Canadian Birkbeck Investment and Savings Company, 10 Adelaide Street East (now the Ontario Heritage Centre) functions as an event space as well as the Ontario Heritage Trust’s headquarters. A busy and desirable site, this downtown location would once house Birkbeck’s banking services as well as corporate offices and rental office space. Purchased and restored by the Ontario Heritage Trust in 1985, the Trust has re-instated many of the original details and demonstrated the adaptive reuse of a heritage building.
Designed in the Beaux Arts style of architecture that was popular with financial institutions for the image of stability and prosperity it projected, the Ontario Heritage Centre has been designated a National Historic Site. A beautiful and elegant heritage space, The Gallery (formerly the banking hall) seats up to 175 guests and works well for any type of workshop, media event, private dinner, wedding, or reception.